Monday, December 28, 2020

New Life for Old Woolens

 We've been in isolation over Christmas due to Covid exposure.  It was definitely a different celebration and the first time in forty years that Pete and I were totally alone for Christmas.  We survived and thankfully no symptoms of virus so we have a lot to be thankful for.

One of the advantages of the down time was having leisure to tackle a few projects that have been on my list for a long time.  I finished the border of a hooked rug which had been done for several months.  Binding a curvy edge presented a few potential problems but when I actually got down to brass tacks and started it, it really wasn't that hard.



I liked the color combination on this pattern and even though I'm not a huge fan of poinsettias per se, it does make a nice bright winter mat for the dining table.

When you have a passion for wool, things do accumulate and woolen sweaters is one of the things I can't stand to donate.  I saw the idea for making mittens out of felted wool sweaters several years ago and finally got around to trying them myself.  They are fleece lined and man, are they ever WARM!  They are simple to make.  Making four pairs was enough to satisfy my desire to make them but sadly not enough to use up all the felted sweaters!  I sometimes feel I'm enslaved by all the scraps my fiber projects generate.  Having raised sheep, and having washed and spun their wool I have a real appreciation for all that goes into making something out of wool and can't stand to waste any of it.  




One other scrap wool project was making ornaments.  These were fun to stitch while watching a Christmas movie.


I have a bin of wool scraps next to the sofa, ready for transformation into something new.  And it's time to get my next hooked rug started.  Winter is definitely the time to be working with all that lovely wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment